Sunday, February 26, 2012

Strawberry Fields Forever

This is day 2 of trying to figure out what to do with the 4 packages of strawberries I was lured into buying at the Kroger. They were on sale, 4 for $5 and I couldn't resist.

First, the strawberry tart . . .

It's just a graham cracker crust, a layer of softened cream cheese (I used a whole package plus somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 C. of sugar and some vanilla) and sliced strawberries on top.

After I got it all assembled, I painted it with a simple syrup (1/4 C. sugar and 1/4 C. water boiled on the stove).


Then, at the last minute, after I took most of my pics, I decided to melt some chocolate chips and drizzle them across the top.

Mom and I dug into this scrumptious tart last night after a lovely evening of white wine, crab cakes, coleslaw and southwest shrimp and corn chowder.

Then this morning . . .

Strawberry Stuffed French Toast

I used whole grain bread for this one. I mixed fat-free evaporated milk with the eggs, spread some softened cream cheese between two pieces of bread, added sliced strawberries, smooshed the two sides of the sandwich together, dipped it in the egg and fried it up on the griddle.

Some real maple syrup and turkey bacon made this breakfast unbelievably yummy. Almost forgot to take pics so here is the half-eaten pic.

And I still have two and a half packages of strawberries left . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment