Sunday, February 12, 2012

Kitchen craftiness

Those that know me on FB know that I get a little crafty in the kitchen too. So although it's not a "craft" here's my idea for a Valentine's Day Breakfast for your lover.

First off, fresh blueberry scones, recipe courtesy of Cooking Light Magazine.

For the main dish, you can call it a frittata, a crustless quiche, or a strata. Whatever you wanna call it, mine is made with yukon gold potatoes (cooked in the microwave first then cubed), sauted red bell pepper and onion, and turkey smoked sausage. I use fat-free evaporated milk instead of milk or cream with the eggs, thus making it a tad less fattening (albeit a tad). You could use more egg whites than yokes and take this a step further. For this one I used 5 eggs and about 1/4 cup of fat-free evaporated milk. 

I coat the casserole dish with spray to make sure it doesn't stick. Put all the ingredients in the casserole, sprinkle with low-fat mozzarella cheese and a little bit of a good hard white cheddar for flavor.

Then bake it at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for probably 30-40 minutes, depending on how deep a dish you use and how much you fill it. I just keep an eye on it. When it becomes that wonderful golden brown color all the way across the whole top, you know the sides are a beautiful deep golden brown. Yumminess!

I sliced up an orange and made a nice pot of chai tea.

This is how I repay my lover for a beautiful evening out dancing the night before. Thanks baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment